The Town Council support the Royal British Legion in their belief that it is important that the above day be marked publicly in the life of our community, as it is nationally and internationally, as a day of commemoration and commitment. Also, that it is right to honour all those who have given their lives and those who continue to do so in the service of their country, and to offer some continuing strength and comfort to the bereaved families.
How we REMEMBER in 2020 will be significantly different to previous years, but what we REMEMBER continues with the same heartful meaning.
The Town Council, along with the Prudhoe Branch of the Royal British Legion and St. Mary Magdalene Church, share the town’s disappointment that we cannot gather in numbers, organising and watching the Remembrance Parade and Service. We can however REMEMBER in a way that is personal and meaningful to us.
This town has a strong and powerful commitment to Remembrance, and we want to ensure that this is demonstrated and shared in as many ways as possible, whilst at the same time ensuring everyone’s safety.
- On the morning of Remembrance Sunday, we will make available on Facebook, the Town Council website and YouTube, a commemorative video of Remembrance 2020. This will include the Act of Remembrance, the laying of wreaths and a magnificent montage of photographs of Remembrance Parades and Services, over the years in Prudhoe.
- We will encourage shops, schools, and the community at large to give tribute to Remembrance and the Armed Services in their windows, whether than be words or pictures, we ask you to show that you ‘remember them’.
- We will create a waterfall of poppies at The Glade and invite you, our community, to attach your own poppy tribute.
- We will share RBL online resources that allow families to bring Remembrance to life by exploring, creating, and sharing art.
- We will encourage you to ‘Remember at Home’, whether that be on your doorstep or in front of the television.
- We will facilitate those who wish to lay wreaths, to do so safely, in advance of Remembrance Sunday and invite them to be part of our Commemorative video.
- We will display 2020 Remembrance Wreaths on The Glade, on a new framework designed and built by CJL Fenwick.
- We will REMEMBER them.